Better to know, than not to know
- "How long has this been happening?"
- "How many concurrent connections before cpu starts to spin out of control?"
- "How long to videos take to process?"
- "How many videos are uploaded after Joe does one of his announcements?"
Many many components
Almost all can be used separately, but I think 1 is required, two are nice to have, and 1 is just slick.
- Stats Storage Engine. Numeric values only. Has aggregation, rollups, tons of ways to pull out numbers
- Regularly (10s) collect system information
- Collect data from apps. # of logins, uploads, etc
- SO PRETTY! ENHANCE! ENHANCE!
- Collects stats at regular intervals (10s by default)
- Out of the box, system information
- Can write to graphite
- Can collect custom info, but I’ve found it easier/better to go graphite directly.
- Daemon that collects stat pushes at it
- Runs over UDP so shouldn’t block your app
Many stat options:
- Timings (how long a query took)
- Absolute values (number of results returned)
- Incremental Values (every login)
Many backend options
- Client libraries in pretty much every language
I wanna see some stuff!